Monday, September 15, 2008

Hurricane Ike

Yesterday Hurricane Ike came and smacked us in the face when we had no idea it was headed for us. The power went out shortly after. We had plans to have people over for tacos but that was ruined by it. They all came over anyway and talked about being Amish. I wouldn't be good for being Amish, that's for sure. We didn't have any way to keep our food cold whatsoever other than a cooler with ice in it. I witnessed about ten feet of our last pine tree in the backyard slicing off and falling down. It just missed the pool. The one good thing about it is that co-op got called because of the power issue. I was left missing my computer. I couldn't write, play RuneScape, or draw. I almost died of boredom. A bunch of trees were pulled out of the ground by their roots. The trees I saw were AMAZING. I mean seriously. Probably the most amazing thing I have ever seen in my entire life. The winds continued until like 6:00 before they finally settled down. The whole place was a mess. Sticks everywhere and trees down...
The power continued to stay out, and I began growing very restless. I was very bored and without the computer. I didn't know what to do. There was barely enough light to read, and for some reason I didn't feel the urge to pick up a book. I need to be relaxed to read and I was NOT relaxed. We were under a water advisory and all of the food was going bad. I was stressed out. Our neighbors across the street luckily have an oven that you can light and use without power. We ate two meals there.
Lots of lucky people did have power. Angee had power at her apartment, and a few other people we know did. We went to Angee's place to charge the Ipod and our phones. I was prepared to wait the whole rest of the week for power and my beloved computer. I needed to write really bad, but that wasn't happening. I was checking my email on my dad's laptop (he was able to get the Internet there) when his phone rang with its very annoying ring tone. I froze and waited.
"Mister Mark?" My dad said. I knew what was coming. The only reason why he would be calling us was to tell us something very, very happy. "We have power?" My dad said excitedly. I sighed with relief. We were very lucky.
So our power is back on. Its 9:51 right now. Almost the whole place has power now thank God. I just hope it doesn't go out again. My friend texted me and said she had hers, but later it went out again. So yeah, hurricane Ike hit us...

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm glad you didn't die. I know it was touch and go for a while there. I don't think you could ever be Amish. I agree that the boil advisory and the inability to keep our food cold was very stressful!!! And what the flip is Ike doing in Ohio.

Anonymous said...

Catelyn,

I really enjoyed your Ike update. You did a very good job writing it...it seemed very mature for your age.
You are getting better and better at writing! Thanks for sharing it with everyone!

KM